Durban City Tour
A Durban city tour gives you the opportunity to take in this vibrant coastal settlement, with its melting pot of cultures and people. The beautiful beach and promenade being the epicenter of the city, but a historical city center, bustling harbour and social scene also add to the flavour.
You will spend the day moving through these different districts, stopping along the way to experience a few of them up close. Like the new Soccer stadium built for the 2010 world cup, with its world record arch, which you will ride to the top, to experience 180 degree views of the city.
Your guide will keep you enthralled with tales of war and exploration, explaining how exactly Durban came to be. How the Afrikaans (Dutch), English and local tribes (mainly Zulu) settled and sometimes tussled over the large estuary system, now the busiest port in Africa.
Don’t forget the Indians, who made the area their home from 1860 onward, owing to the fact that now Durban City is home to the largest population of Indian people outside of India than anywhere else in the world. A visit to the Indian spice market is a must and you then stop for lunch and a traditional Durban Indian curry (Bunny Chow) is well recommended!
Other attractions are visited such as the harbour, botanical gardens and the beach front promenade, taking in the region of 5 hours total. A long stretch of beach front, or the so called ‘Golden Mile’, is the hub of Durban city. Enjoy the piers, sand sculptures or even a rickshaw ride, as well as vendors, restaurants and shops at Ushaka Marine world. There are a lot of other attractions that take more time and can be added if you wish such as the aquarium, boat cruises, museums and markets. Let us know and we will gladly add these into an extended Durban city tour for you.
COMPLETE TOUR DESCRIPTION
Location: Durban City Tour
Departure Point: Durban and Surrounds
Return Point: Durban and Surrounds
- 9:00am – Pick up at accommodation.
- 9:30am – Funicular ride up stadium arch. Then other sight as mentioned.
- 12:00pm – Stop for lunch.
- 1:00pm – Botanical gardens and Indian Spice market.
- 2:00pm – Drop off at accommodation. At this point, extras can be added.
- Guided Durban City Tour in air-conditioned mini-van.
- Funicular ride up stadium arch.
- All mentioned stops.
- Extras of a personal nature, curios etc.
What To Bring
- Local cash for curios, sand sculptors, rickshaw rides and such. Most shops will accept cards, but unfortunately not any street vendors.
- Sunscreen and hat essential.