Travel down the South Coast and then inland on this Oribi gorge day tour, a million year old gorge cut by the Umzinkulwana River, 400m deep and 4km at its widest point. The total length is 27kms long, starting at ‘Hells Gate’.
Oribi gorge is a million year old gorge cut by the Umzinkulwana River, 400m deep and 4km at its widest point. The total length is 27kms long, starting at ‘Hells Gate’. We travel from Durban heading south along the beautiful coastline passing the town of Port Shepstone. Your guide will tell you about the early settlers of the area and stop at some great view sites. Head inland to the gorge and make your way down into the heart of it. Here you will have a chance to get out and look up at the towering cliffs above you. We then drive up out the gorge onto the other side.
You will enter Lake Eland Reserve, various animals can be observed, zebra, giraffe, wildebeest and other antelope. Then enjoy the breathtaking scenery of the gorge, walk over the suspension bridge and try the crows nest!! Also walk the 300 steps down into the cliffs to view the natural caves/ overhangs. There is also an excellent zip-line (optional extra) for the adrenaline seekers with the longest line crossing the gorge 400m above the floor and about 300m long.
After all that exploring enjoy a lunch (own account) back at the lodge, overlooking the dams and tranquil reserve. Lastly we make our way around the other side of the gorge and back onto Durban. There are a few other action activities available as an optional extra such as abseiling and a gorge swing.
COMPLETE TOUR DESCRIPTIONDuration: 6 – 8 HOURSPrice min 2 Adults: R2000.00 pp
(Discounts apply for groups 4 or more)
Location: Oribi Gorge
Departure Point: Durban and Surrounds
Return Point: Durban and Surrounds
- 8am – Collection in Durban or surrounds. Make your way with guide South along the coastline and towards the Oribi Gorge.
- 8.45am – Arrive at the gorge where we descend down into it. Get out down by the river and soak up your natural surroundings.
- 9.15am – Arrive at Lake Eland Reserve at the start of the gorge, ‘Hells Gate’. Drive through the reserve viewing the many animals and bird species.
- 9.45am – Explore the gorge with attractions such as the crows nest and suspension bridge. If anybody wants to do one of the adventure activities now would be the time.
- 12pm – Enjoy a lunch back at the lodge, (own account)
- 2 – 2.30pm – Arrive back in Durban. If adventure activities were included time will be later.
- Guided tour down to Oribi
- Transfers in air-conditioned tour vehicle
- Travelling costs
- Guided game drives in the Lake Eland Reserve
- Entrance fees to Reserve
- Added extra activities
What To Bring:
What To Wear:
- Casual clothing is fine, jacket in case (especially in winter)
- Sunscreen and hat
- There is a little bit of walking so comfortable shoes help, not essential though.
- Jeans or slacks if zip-lining or similar. You will have a harness.