For an idea of what you will experience on your Central Drakensberg tour, below is your basic itinerary. However to always keep in mind we are a private operator, specializing in one of kind Drakensberg trips. Giving you the opportunity to tailor make your own itinerary as per your own specific requirements.
Day 1 – Arrival Day for the Central Drakensberg Tour
9am – Pick up in Durban or surrounds.
1pm – Arrive at Didima Camp in the Ukhahlamba-Drakesnberg Park. Check into your en-suite, thatch chalet, with incredible views of Cathedral Peak. Enjoy a light lunch.
2:30pm – Gentle afternoon hike to Doreen falls.
5pm – Return to camp and freshen up before enjoying a dinner looking up at the Drakensberg Mountains beyond.
Day 2 – Full Day Explore the Central Drakensberg Tour
6am – Choose to partake in another hike this morning, Rainbow gorge is a very popular one. Or you could choose to wake at your leisure and rather enjoy a nice cup of coffee as the light fills in the towering peaks.
9am – Have a cooked breakfast and then check out.
10am – Visit the San (Bushmen) Museum. Enjoy the video and light show, and see amazing artefacts as you gain some insight into these fascinating people.
11am – transfer to Giants Castle.
*As a side note, there are a range of activities over and above hiking at Cathedral Peak. You may wish to do a quadbike ride or get in a round of golf; it really is up to you.
1:30pm – Arrive at Giants Castle. Check in and freshen up, then have lunch.
2:30pm – Take a hike to Main Caves to see some genuine San people rock art. A local guide will interpret the paintings for you and help you to understand their ancient culture.
5:30pm – After enjoying the final moments as the sun begins to set over the mountains, enjoy a beverage and then head for supper at the restaurant.
Day 3 – Departure Day
This is a free morning for you to do as you please. Explore a bit more of the reserve on foot or simply enjoy the morning around camp. After breakfast you will check out and during the winter months you could choose to visit the vulture restaurant for some close up viewing of these awesome birds. Basically, you sit in a hide whilst food is put out nearby to help supplement the vulture’s diet during this harsh season.
Then we leave and head back to Durban or you can choose to add the Southern Berg to your itinerary.
Central Drakensberg Tour Includes:
- Guided transfers to the Central Drakensberg from Durban or Johannesburg.
- Accommodation in the Didima and Giants Castle camp chalets or bungalows with en-suite bathroom.
- Meals whilst on tour: 2 dinners, 2 breakfast, 2 snack lunches, limited refreshments and tea/ coffee/water and breakfast/ hike snacks.
- Endless Summer guide for entire time and hikes.
- Bushmen paintings at Main Caves, with local guide.
- Conservation (entrance) fees to the Ukhahlamba-Drakensberg Park.
Central Drakensberg Tour Excludes:
- Gratuities for any service you may receive.
- Soft drinks and alcohol.
- Meals where indicated.
- Optional extra activities such as the vulture restaurant.
What to bring:
- Be prepared this is a mountain environment, rain, cold and hot sun are all possibilities. Waterproof jacket is essential, even during Summer as this is the rainy season. During winter you are going to need warm clothing and a beanie! Extra socks are also a great idea to have, to change into after the rain came down or you accidently stepped into that stream mid-hike.
- A bathing costume of sorts, the Berg is full of crystal mountain pools and waterfalls, so much fun to jump into to cool down and splash around. Obviously in Winter the water is freezing, but hey we have had some crazy folk still take a dip!
- Sunscreen and hat.
- Towel for swimming.
- Walking shoes of some sort, even if you only intend doing the short walks. For longer hikes, hiking boots are best, but if you don’t have no need to go out and buy. A comfortable pair of running shoes or trainers will get you by.
- Insect repellent is a good idea. (Summer mainly).
- Binoculars are great to have.
- Camera is a must.
If you like the sound of the Central Drakensberg tour and Itinerary why not hit the enquire button now, to find out more!