Leave on this Sani Pass Day Tour from Durban, for this epic full-day tour of the Drakensberg, Sani Pass and Lesotho. On arrival in Underberg, you will transfer over to a 4X4 vehicle which will be taking you up the mountain via Sani Pass and into the country of Lesotho. You will pass through the Drakensberg National Park (uKhuhlamba), a world heritage site.
This is due to its unique bird, plant, and animal species. But also the some 50 000 rock art paintings that are found throughout the mountain range in caves and over hangs. These were made by the San or Bushmen people the true indigenous people of Southern Africa.
You will need your passport as you pass through the SA border post and then drive on very rough off-road conditions up the mountain pass, eventually zig-zagging back on yourself numerous times and arriving at the Lesotho border post 2825m up. Enter the country of Lesotho and visit a traditional Basothu homestead. Your guide will give you some history and info about these hardened people and how they survive in such difficult conditions. Enjoy some homemade bread and beer, then it is onto the highest pub in Africa for lunch…
COMPLETE TOUR DESCRIPTION – SANI PASS DAY TOUR FROM DURBAN
(Discounts apply for groups 4 or more)
Location: Sani Pass and Drakensberg
Departure Point: Durban and Surrounds
Return Point: Durban and Surrounds
- 6:30am – Pick up for you Sani Pass Day Tour From Durban.
- 9am – Arrive in Underberg, sort out your documentation and climb into the 4X4 vehicle.
- 9:30am – Start your trip up the mountain range. Pass through the Drakensberg Park, looking for birds and animals such as eland, baboon and reedbuck.
- 12:30pm – Arrive at the top of the pass, enter Lesotho. Visit a Basothu homestead to learn about their culture.
- 1:30pm – Have lunch in the highest pub in Africa.
- 2:30pm – Start your descent down the mountain.
- 4pm – Arrive back in Underberg.
- 4:30pm – Leave to drive back to Durban.
- Guided transfers in air-conditioned mini-van.
- 4X4 trip up the mountain.
- Visit to the Basothu village.
- Entrance fees to the uKhuhlamba Mountain Reserve.
- Extras of a personal nature, curios etc.
What To Bring
- Be prepared this is a mountain environment, rain, cold, hot sun are all possibilities.
- Warm clothes.
- Rain jacket.
- Sunscreen and hat.
- Scarves and beanies in winter.
- Passport essential.
- Binoculars if you have.