For an idea of what you will experience on your Northern Drakensberg tour, below is your basic itinerary. However to always keep in mind we are a private operator, specializing in one of kind Drakensberg trips. Giving you the opportunity to tailor make your own itinerary as per your own specific requirements.
Day 1 – Arrival Day for the Northern Drakensberg Tour
9am – Pick up in Durban or surrounds.
1pm – Arrive at Thendele Camp in the Royal Natal Park. Check into your en-suite, thatch chalet, with incredible views of the Amphitheatre. Enjoy a light lunch.
2:30pm – Gentle afternoon hike to the Cascades, a very scenic walk, ending at a series of waterfalls and Mckinlay’s pool.
5pm – Return to camp and freshen up before enjoying a dinner in the shadow of the mighty Drakensberg.
Day 2 – Full Day Explore the Northern Drakensberg Tour
The itinerary today really depends on your preference. If you are keen hikers you can choose to do one of the 2 hikes to see the Tugela Falls. The Gorge hike, does just as the name suggests, follows the Tugela River all the way to the base of the Tugela Falls and takes about 6 – 8 hours. Or you could choose to do the Mont-Aux Sources day hike, which takes you right to the top and the source of the Tugela. Actual hiking time is approximately 4 hours, which gets you to the chain ladders and back. Then allow for another 2 or so hours for exploring the summit and a further 2.5 hours driving time. If you are torn between the 2, you may gladly add an additional night and do both.
If that all sounds exhausting and you prefer to view the mountains from more of a distance that is fine too! Your guide will be on hand to discuss the different smaller hikes/ walks in the area. You can choose to go out early and return for breakfast, or have a leisurely breakfast and then head out later in the warmth of the day. It is completely your decision. Whatever you choose, the sights, smells and fresh air are completely exhilarating!
Meals are included throughout the trip, so it all depends on what you have chosen to do. Obviously for the big hikes, food will be taken along to eat on the way. Dinner will once again be back at the camp.
Day 3 – Departure Day & Bushmen painting hike
Wake at your leisure and enjoy a lovely breakfast.
9am – Check out and head to the start of a very special hike.
9:30am – Bushmen Painting hike conducted by a Park official. This hike takes about 1.5 hours and gives you the opportunity to view some genuine paintings made by the Bushmen of Southern Africa. Your local guide will give you some great insight into the mystical lives of these ancient people.
11:30am – Leave for Durban. Or choose to head to the Central Berg to continue exploring the area.
Northern Drakensberg Tour Includes:
- Guided transfers to the Northern Drakensberg from Durban or Johannesburg.
- Accommodation in the Thendele chalets or bungalows with en-suite bathroom.
- Meals whilst on tour: 2 dinners, 2 breakfast, 2 snack lunches, limited refreshments and tea/ coffee/water and breakfast/ hike snacks.
- Endless Summer guide for entire time and hikes.
- Bushmen paintings guided hike.
- Conservation (entrance) fee to Royal Natal National Park.
Northern Drakensberg Tour Excludes:
- Gratuities for any service you may receive
- Soft drinks and alcohol
- Meals where indicated
- Optional extra activities
What to bring:
- Be prepared this is a mountain environment, rain, cold and hot sun are all possibilities. Waterproof jacket is essential, even during Summer as this is the rainy season. During winter you are going to need warm clothing and a beanie! Extra socks are also a great idea to have, to change into after the rain came down or you accidently stepped into that stream mid-hike.
- A bathing costume of sorts, the Berg is full of crystal mountain pools and waterfalls, so much fun to jump into to cool down and splash around. Obviously in Winter the water is freezing, but hey we have had some crazy folk still take a dip!
- Sunscreen and hat.
- Towel for swimming.
- Walking shoes of some sort, even if you only intend doing the short walks. For longer hikes, hiking boots are best, but if you don’t have no need to go out and buy. A comfortable pair of running shoes or trainers will get you by.
- Insect repellent is a good idea. (Summer mainly).
- Binoculars are great to have.
- Camera is a must.
If you like the sound of the Northern Drakensberg tour and Itinerary why not hit the enquire button now, to find out more!