For an idea of what you will experience on your Southern Drakensberg tour, below is your basic itinerary. However to always keep in mind we are a private operator, specializing in one of kind Drakensberg trips. Giving you the opportunity to tailor make your own itinerary as per your own specific requirements.
Day 1 – Arrival Day for the Southern Drakensberg Tour
10am – Pick up in Durban or surrounds.
1pm – Arrive in Underberg and check into your lodge with beautiful views of the lake and mountains beyond. Enjoy a light lunch.
2:30pm – Gentle afternoon hike in the surrounding foothills.
5pm – Return to the lodge and freshen up before a wonderful dinner.
Day 2 – Full Day Sani Pass and Lesotho Southern Drakensberg Tour
7:30am – Wake at your leisure and have breakfast.
9am – Meet the 4X4 tour and do the necessary paper work to enter Lesotho.
9:30am – Begin the 4X4 tour firstly entering the reserve to start your accent of the mountain.
11am – Cross through the SA border post and now the real fun begins. Over the next 1km you will climb over 600m. As the road winds its way up you will stop periodically to admire the spectacular view, as you look back down the valley from where you came.
12:30pm – As you approach the summit, the road zigzags dramatically up the final 100m to eventually arrive at the Lesotho border post. After entering Lesotho you will visit a real Basothu homestead and learn a little of their culture.
1:30pm – Have lunch on the edge of the escarpment, with incredible views looking back toward South Africa, in the highest pub in Africa at 2876m.
4:00pm – Arrive back in Underberg, freshen up and enjoy a sundowner and then head for dinner.
Day 3 – Departure Day & optional extra activities
We have nothing specifically planned for this morning, but you can choose from a range of activities such as hiking, horse riding or quad biking. There is also some great fishing in the area. Otherwise simply enjoy the lodge, mountain air and awesome views.
Southern Drakensberg Tour Includes:
- Guided transfers to the Southern Drakensberg from Durban.
- Accommodation at Sani Valley Lodge or similar with en-suite bathroom.
- Meals whilst on tour: 2 dinners, 2 breakfast, 2 lunches, limited refreshments and tea/ coffee/water and breakfast/ hike snacks.
- Endless Summer guide for entire time and hikes.
- Sani Pass 4X4 trip and Lesotho Village.
- Conservation (entrance) fee to Ukhahlamba-Drakensberg Park and border fees.
Southern Drakensberg Tour Excludes:
- Gratuities for any service you may receive
- Soft drinks and alcohol
- Meals where indicated
- Optional extra activities
What to bring:
- Be prepared this is a mountain environment, rain, cold and hot sun are all possibilities. Waterproof jacket is essential, even during Summer as this is the rainy season. During winter you are going to need warm clothing and a beanie! Extra socks are also a great idea to have, to change into after the rain came down or you accidently stepped into that stream mid-hike.
- A bathing costume of sorts, the Berg is full of crystal mountain pools and waterfalls, so much fun to jump into to cool down and splash around. Obviously in Winter the water is freezing, but hey we have had some crazy folk still take a dip!
- Sunscreen and hat.
- Towel for swimming.
- Walking shoes of some sort, even if you only intend doing the short walks. For longer hikes, hiking boots are best, but if you don’t have no need to go out and buy. A comfortable pair of running shoes or trainers will get you by.
- Insect repellent is a good idea. (Summer mainly).
- Binoculars are great to have.
- Camera is a must.
If you like the sound of the Sourthern Drakensberg tour and Itinerary why not hit the enquire button now, to find out more!